Website Village of Schaumburg
Progress Through Thoughtful Planning
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 78,732 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of Chicago. Not only is Schaumburg the twelfth-largest community in the State of Illinois, but it is also home to the second-largest concentration of retail, office, and commercial activity. Notable village distinctions include being named one of the “Top Ten Best Places to Live” by Money Magazine; being ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub’s “Best Illinois Cities for Jobs”; and receiving the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting for the seventh consecutive year.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in 12 departments, including police, fire, engineering and public works, communications, community development, cultural services, economic development, finance, general government, human resources, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Fire Inspector (Fire Department)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING PAY RATE: $29.81 – $37.06 per hour based on a 40-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $29.81 – $44.31. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position is considered a civil fire prevention officer responsible for the effective enforcement of Village fire and life safety codes and ordinances through inspections of residential, commercial, and industrial properties. Position requires self-discipline, accurate scheduling, spontaneous problem resolution, excellent verbal and written communication skills, provision of expert testimony in courts of law, and working autonomously. Shall occasionally be required to perform inspections and/or duties as designated, beyond and/or in addition to, the normal work day or work week.
To succeed in this role the ideal candidate will need to effectively communicate to a full range of people and show the ability to problem solve efficiently. We are looking to add a team member capable of prioritizing multiple projects and will need to shift gears comfortably and work cooperatively with others.
1. Responsible for understanding and applying Village of Schaumburg Code of Ordinances and any adopted codes and ordinances.
2. Performs inspections and fire systems tests of new and existing buildings to ensure compliance with fire and life safety codes.
3. Organizes daily work schedule, and completes designated or scheduled inspections and/or assignments, prior to end of work day.
4. Investigates complaints and performs inspections as required to promote safety and prevent fire hazards. Also responsible for contacting and notifying responsible parties involved, and assisting in resolving all code infractions to ensure compliance with codes and ordinances.
5. Provides technical assistance, correspondence, and/or notices, to the general public, Village personnel, property owners, and contractors.
6. Issues warning notices, tickets and citations as directed, involving violations of the Village of Schaumburg Code of Ordinances, and/or other related Village adopted ordinances and codes. Maintains documentation and appears in court as necessary.
7. Reviews job site plans/drawings for any discrepancy or deviation from Village approved plans/drawings.
8. Utilizes special tools, instruments, equipment, etc. as necessary in fulfilling job duties or assigned tasks, as directed.
9. Attends educational courses and seminars as needed in order to maintain certifications and licenses, or as directed.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associates Degree in fire science, building technology or closely related field.
2. A minimum of two years of fire prevention or inspection experience.
3. Certification in Fire Inspector I with the International Code Council or ability to obtain within one year date of hire.
4. Experience in a position involving customer service and customer complaint investigation skills.
5. Possession of a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
6. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.schaumburg.com.