Village of Menomonee Falls
The Village of Menomonee Falls (pop. 39,213) offers small-town charm while providing outstanding amenities and convenient access to the Milwaukee region. Menomonee Falls was settled in the 1800’s and is in northeast Waukesha County with a total land area of nearly 33 square miles and is in Waukesha County Wisconsin. It is the most populous Village in the state. The Village’s high quality of life is rooted in its thriving local economy, wide variety of housing choices, safe neighborhoods, beautiful natural environment, high performing school districts, rich history, and effective local services. Menomonee Falls has a governing body consisting of a Board President and six-member Board of Trustees. In 2020 it was listed as the 15th Best Place to Live in America by Money Magazine. It was listed as a Top 50 Best Small City in America by Wallethub in 2022. And it was the Safest City in Wisconsin with a population over 25,000 according to US News and World Report in 2022. The current chief is leaving having been offered a position with a fire department in California.
- The Village is seeking a full-time Fire Chief to lead a full-service organization. The Fire department staff consists of the Chief, (3) Deputy Chiefs (Administrative, Operations, EMS/Training), (5) Battalion Chiefs, (6) Lieutenants and (15) Full and PT Firefighter/EMT’s and Paramedics and Officer Coordinator, Clerk, Chaplain, (49) PT Lieutenants/Firefighter EMT’s and EMT’s, and (9) part-time Inspectors.
- The department recently received a SAFER Grant and is on-boarding (14) new personnel.
- The department operates from three (3) fire stations (two built new in 2015) that are staffed by career and part-time members 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- The department apparatus consists of four engine companies, one truck company (Quint) six ambulances, one mini-pumper, one water tender, one command unit, one mobile command post and staff support vehicles.
- The full-time personnel are part of IAFF Local 3879. Currently full-time personnel work a three-shift schedule on a 24/24 rotation with four days off period.
- The Department provides full fire and emergency medical services to the Village, neighboring Lannon (primary response) and the region. E911 emergency communications and operations are provided by Waukesha County Communications Center.
- The Fire Department’s FY 2022 budget was just under $6 million.
- The department responded to over 5,500 emergency and service calls in 2022.
The Village seeks:
- An experienced, innovative, collaborative fire/EMS leader with demonstrated managerial, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- A strong communicator with Village officials, the Police and Fire Commission, staff, and other stakeholders.
- A commitment to the organization as well as the senior management team of the Village with genuine confidence and approachability to residents, business, and governmental leaders.
- A Fire Chief that is an integral and engaged leader, with a strong background in modern fire, EMS, emergency management and all hazards’ practices.
- A Fire Chief that understands the need to use data for problem solving and community risk reduction efforts.
- The ability to mentor and foster leadership roles within the staff, succession planning and a global vision of the community’s needs and vision are critical. Creativity and the ability to guide and balance change is necessary.
- A demonstrated history of working in a combination department that also has collective bargaining.
- Demonstrated skills in Strategic Planning and overall agency credentialing and performance evaluations and national standards.
- A desire to be a life-long learner and consistently looking for personal growth.
Successful candidates should also:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in fire science, emergency management, emergency medical services or related fields. A master’s degree is highly desired.
- Have 10 years of experience and demonstrated leadership in a fire service command position is required.
- In the ideal, be a graduate of the National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer, Chief Fire Officer Designation, or similar certifications.
The annual salary range for this position is $130,000 +/- DOQ plus excellent benefits. Residency in the Village is not required by state law. Village employees participate in the Wisconsin Retirement System, which is administered by the State of Wisconsin.
Candidates should apply by September 29, 2023, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com. Questions may be addressed to T.E. Sashko, Vice President and lead recruiter for the fire chief position, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240. Menomonee Falls is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.govhrusa.com.