Website Town of Matthews
Town of Matthews, NC, Seeks Applicants for Firefighter/EMT Positions
Come join the Matthews Fire & EMS family! We are accepting applications for both CERTIFIED and NON-CERTIFIED career Firefighter/EMT positions. These are new positions to increase our daily staffing as we prepare to open and staff Fire Station 3. Upon the opening of Station 3 in early 2025, full-time staffing will increase from 9 to 13. Career members are assigned to one of three operations shifts, working a modified 24/48 schedule and a 28-day work cycle, averaging 56 hours per workweek.
About Matthews Fire & EMS
Located just east of Charlotte NC, the Town of Matthews Fire & EMS is a combination department serving a population of approximately 33,500 people and a 17-square mile district. The department staffs two stations and operates 2 engines, ladder, heavy rescue, and 2 EMS squads. In 2019, the department responded to approximately 3850 calls for service. In 2020, the department received a Class 2 ISO rating.
Hiring Bonuses Available!
All new hires selected for eligible positions will receive $2,000 on their first paycheck. Those who have relevant job experience and/or military experience are also eligible for up to $3,000 more (total payout available – $5,000).
- Trainee – Uncertified Firefighter
- Trainee – Certified Firefighter or Certified EMT (Must possess either a North Carolina Firefighter I/II certification OR a North Carolina EMT certification; or equivalent certification with an IFSAC or ProBoard seal (Out-of-state candidates with equivalent certifications must be able to successfully complete the reciprocity process and requirements through the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission).
- Firefighter/EMT (Must possess both a North Carolina Firefighter I/II AND North Carolina EMT certification; or equivalent certification with an IFSAC or ProBoard seal (Out-of-state candidates with equivalent certifications must be able to successfully complete the reciprocity process and requirements through the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission).
The application period for the Matthews Fire Department – Firefighter/EMT Hiring Process will be open from Tuesday, January 16, 2024, through Friday, February 16, 2024, 11:59 PM. This is a competitive process. Interested candidates must apply for consideration.
The written exams will be held on March 1, 2024 and March 2, 2024. Assessment centers will be held tentatively during the week of March 11, 2024. Further details of the written exam, assessment center, and a schedule of events will be emailed to the candidate selected to move forward in the hiring process.
Performs responsible fire suppression, fire education and prevention, rescue, emergency medical, and incident response activities; drives and operates emergency apparatus and equipment; maintains equipment, apparatuses, and facilities; performs specialized tasks or programs; participates in pre-incident planning, maintenance of records, and training programs. Work is performed under the regular supervision of a Fire Captain.
- High school diploma, GED, or high school equivalency from an accredited educational institution.
- No experience is necessary.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
- Ability to obtain NC Firefighter I/II certification within eighteen (18) months of hire.
- Ability to obtain North Carolina EMT certification within eighteen (18) months of hire.
- Must be able to obtain Technical Rescue certifications.
- Must be able to meet and maintain the minimum training, experience, and compliance requirements for the position as established by the Town and the State of North Carolina.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- The Town of Matthews requires background checks to be conducted on the final candidate(s) applying for any position with the Town of Matthews. For this position, final candidates must pass a background process to include but are not limited to work history verification, professional/personal reference checks, financial review, polygraph, pre-employment drug screening and physical, criminal background, driving record checks, etc. with final approval by the Fire Chief. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test and/or participate in other assessments.
- Candidate must be insurable under the Department’s existing vehicle and umbrella liability insurance carrier.
- Candidate must meet the medical and physical requirements as specified in NFPA 1582, respirator use certification requirements, successfully complete polygraph and psychologic fit-for-duty evaluations.
- Must be able to meet and maintain all minimum training, education, and compliance requirements for the position as established by the Town and the State of North Carolina (i.e. NC Firefighter and EMT certifications, Technical Rescue certifications, etc.).
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Town is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town of Matthews provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws in all terms and conditions of employment.
The Town of Matthews is an at-will employer.
If interested in applying, please submit an application at:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org