Website Town of Matthews
Come join the Matthews Fire & EMS family! We are accepting applications for Fire Battalion Chiefs. These are new positions to increase our daily staffing as we prepare to open and staff Fire Station 3, opening in early 2025. Career members are assigned to one of three operations shifts, working a modified 24/48 schedule and a 28-day work cycle, averaging 56 hours per workweek.
The application period for the Matthews Fire Department – Fire Battalion Chief Hiring Process will be open from Tuesday, January 16, 2024, through Friday, February 16, 2024, at 11:59 PM. This is a competitive process. Interested candidates must apply for consideration.
Assessment centers will be held tentatively on March 21st and March 22nd. Further details of the assessment center and a schedule of events will be emailed to the candidates chosen to move forward in the hiring process.
ABOUT MATTHEWS FIRE & EMS
Located just east of Charlotte NC, the Town of Matthews Fire & EMS is a combination department serving a population of approximately 33,500 people and a 17-square mile district. The department staffs two stations and operates 2 engines, ladder, heavy rescue, and 2 EMS squads. In 2019, the department responded to approximately 3850 calls for service. In 2020, the department received a Class 2 ISO rating.
Responsible administrative and technical work in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and supervising activities, including but not limited to personnel management, fire prevention and training activities, and responsive and effective management of fire suppression, emergency medical, rescue, hazardous materials, and other man-made and/or natural disasters that pose a threat to public safety. Work is performed under the general direction and guidance of the Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief (Command Staff).
- Associate’s Degree in Fire Science or a closely related field
- At least three (3) years of experience as a company officer in a municipal fire and EMS agency; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid North Carolina Driver’s License within 60 days of employment with a safe driving record.
- Must possess both a North Carolina Firefighter I/II and North Carolina EMT certification; or equivalent certification with an IFSAC or ProBoard seal (Out-of-state candidates with equivalent certifications must be able to successfully complete the reciprocity process and requirements through the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission).
- Must be able to obtain Technical Rescue certifications.
- Must be able to obtain the Fire Officer III certification within two (2) years of hire.
- Must be able to meet and maintain the minimum training, experience, and compliance requirements for the position as established by the Town and the State of North Carolina.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- The Town of Matthews requires background checks to be conducted on the final candidate(s) applying for any position with the Town of Matthews. For this position, final candidates must pass a background process to include but are not limited to work history verification, professional/personal reference checks, financial review, polygraph, pre-employment drug screening and physical, criminal background, driving record checks, etc. with final approval by the Fire Chief. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test and/or participate in other assessments.
- Candidates must be insurable under the Department’s existing vehicle and umbrella liability insurance carrier.
- Candidates must meet the medical and physical requirements as specified in NFPA 1582, respirator use certification requirements, successfully complete polygraph and psychologic fit-for-duty evaluations.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Town is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town of Matthews provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws in all terms and conditions of employment.
The Town of Matthews is an at-will employer.
If interested in applying, please submit your application at:
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.