Website Orcas Island Fire and Rescue
Orcas Island Fire & Rescue is seeking an experienced Fire Service leader to serve as Assistant Fire Chief. For application materials please visit https://www.orcasfire.org/. First consideration given to applications received by 9/18/23. Open until filled.
To view the full job description and apply, please visit us at https://www.orcasfire.org/
OUR FIRE DEPARTMENT
Our mission is “to save lives and protect property through services delivered with professionalism and compassion.” We envision providing high quality services that contribute to a safe, healthy and thriving community, in a transparent and accountable manner that fosters trust and community engagement. We are Neighbors Serving Neighbors.
San Juan County Fire District 2 is a combination fire department providing fire and emergency medical services to the citizens and taxpayers of Orcas Island, Washington. With an area of 57.3 square miles, Orcas Island has a population of 5,387 (2010 census).
The Assistant Chief is the second in command of the department which consists of 8 full-time shift employees, approximately 40 volunteer firefighters/EMTs, and additional administrative staff. District oversight is provided by a five-person Board of Commissioners.
Orcas Island showcases miles of shoreline with numerous beaches, both public and private. Surrounding land masses offer protection from harsh weather, so the San Juan Islands enjoy a year-round climate that is more moderate than other locations in the Pacific Northwest.
The islanders gather in several quaint villages dotted around the island, with Eastsound being the major hub of island activity. Each community is unique and celebrates its individuality in different ways throughout the year.
This beautiful island has something for everyone … kayak in the Puget Sound; climb a mountain trail to enjoy the beautiful vistas; see Orca whales and marine wildlife; stroll through Eastsound village, exploring the small-town shops; enjoy a wide array of superb dining choices; or simply sit back, relax, and enjoy the natural beauty of Orcas Island.
To explore the islands real estate, school system, business opportunities, please visit Orcas Island Chamber of Commerce at https://orcasislandchamber.com/ and San Juan Island Visitors Bureau at https://www.visitsanjuans.com/orcas-island.
Under the direction of the Fire Chief, the Assistant Chief is responsible for the overall planning, organizing, and directing of day-to-day operations; and the evaluation of all emergency operations including fire suppression, rescue, emergency medical services, and hazardous materials mitigation. Additional responsibilities include fire prevention, training, safety, coordinating the maintenance of apparatus, coordinating the purchase and maintenance of tools and equipment, and coordinating the maintenance of facilities. The Assistant Chief assists the Fire Chief in post-operation analyses and evaluations; ensures sound fiscal management of budgeted resources, and participates in the development and incorporation of efficient operating guidelines, procedures, and policies.
In addition to the qualifications listed in the job description and proven track record of effectively leading teams, the candidate must meet the following qualifications:
· High school diploma with a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Fire Science, Healthcare delivery, Fire or Public Service Administration or related field. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
· A combination of fire education and experience will be considered.
· Ten years of progressively responsible experience in first response activities.
· Five years of experience as a first response officer, supervising personnel.
· Current Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic preferred.
· Fire Fighter I Certification or equivalent training or education.
· Fire Officer or equivalent leadership and management certifications/training.
· Experience successfully navigating emergency response in a combination career and volunteer environment.
· Commitment to leading a positive cultural environment, with the ability to engage in hard conversations to lead groups to innovative solutions.
· Ability to builds team dynamics by inspiring and fostering team commitment, spirit, pride and trust.
· Facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
· Experience influencing and negotiating by building consensus through give and take; gaining cooperation from others to obtain and share information and accomplish goals.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Ability to meet the physical requirements of the job.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary Range: $120,000 – $134,000/year. Starting salary depending on experience and qualifications.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Washington State Department of Retirement Systems (LEOFF)
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- Vacation, Sick and Holidays
Orcas Island Fire is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit www.orcasfire.org.