City of Spartanburg, SC
Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Upstate South Carolina City of Spartanburg seeks a compassionate, collaborative-focused fire safety and prevention leader to join its team as its next Fire Chief.The City of Spartanburg values its service minded, inclusive, team driven environment and is looking for a candidate whose ethics are as much of a match as their experience. Qualifications for a successful candidate include:
· The vision, energy, and innovation to lead and grow a well-respected ISO Class 1 accredited fire department with a state-of-the-art fire headquarters facility featuring training space and advanced equipment.
· Belief in equitable and respectful practices that build strong relationships within the fire department team and also with community members.
· A proven history of experience and expertise in fire and emergency operations to guide the department and partners through future growth and change.
· Passion for servant leadership and the ability to set and uphold ethical standards, develop, and grow the team, mentor, and adapt with changing technology, trends and best practices.
The City of Spartanburg Fire Chief, who is greatly supported and valued by the City Manager and elected officials, is responsible for managing and overseeing the administrative activities of fire suppression and rescue operations for the city and the direction and oversight of the administrative and operational activities of the fire department. Within the fire suppression, fire prevention, and emergency medical services divisions of the fire department, the Fire Chief is responsible for personnel management, policy and procedure development and management, and overall safety.
Embracing the department’s motto, “Preservation through Prevention,” the next Fire Chief will demonstrate a commitment to building and maintaining a safe, prosperous, and vibrant city through effective fire prevention and emergency preparedness programs. The next Fire Chief will have the excellent opportunity to establish and uphold an inclusive culture within the fire department where diversity, equity, and inclusion are prioritized in the hiring process, through service delivery and daily interactions.
About the Organization, Department, and Position:
The City of Spartanburg, SC, operates under the Council-Manager form of government. With a FY 23 – 24 budgetof $51.6M and 409 employees, the city’s motto, “Many Voices, One Vision,” speaks to its commitment to equity, as evidenced in its Comprehensive Plan.
For over 160 years, the Spartanburg Fire Department has provided exceptional fire safety, education, and prevention services to the Spartanburg community. Within its 20 square mile service area, the department has five fire stations and is the only department in Spartanburg County staffed entirely with career firefighters. The department has an apparatus fleet consisting of 4 engines, 3 reserve engines, 2 aerial apparatus and 1 rescue engine.
Reporting to the City Manager, the Fire Chief will manage the department’s FY2023-2024 budget of$8,278,985 and oversee its 78 employees, including three (3) direct reports, Assistant Chief of Operations, Assistant Chief of Administration and Fire Marshal. There are 25 firefighters on a 24-hour shift.
The ideal candidate has experience managing a budget for an ISO Class 1 fire department and is regarded by their leadership as fiscally responsible – someone who is keenly aware of the challenges and opportunities of funding public safety needs with limited resources. As the Fire Chief, this professional is confident, articulate, and persistent when advocating to city leaders for departmental and personnel needs. The next Spartanburg Fire Chief listens intentionally, communicates effectively, and is a keen problem solver with demonstrable conflict resolution skills who remains calm in crisis.
The following are required:
● 10 years of supervision experience, with 5+ years at the rank of Lieutenant or higher.
● 3 – 5 years of administrative experience.
● Bachelor’s degree in public safety-related area OR associate degree in public safety related PLUS 12 years of progressive firefighting experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
· Experience developing and managing an annual operating budget of $8M or greater.
· IFSAC Firefighter II Certification, IFSAC Fire Instructor II Certification, and Fire Officer III Certification.
· Class E Driver’s License or Commercial Driver’s License.
· Certifications: Hazardous Materials Operations level; NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for the position is $100,186 (min) – $122,819 (mid) – $145,451 (max). Starting salary is dependent on qualifications and experience. The City of Spartanburg provides a robust benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, short-term disability, life insurance, and access to a free onsite health clinic. Please note that residency within the City of Spartanburg is expected.
To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/developmentalassociates and click on the Fire Chief – City of Spartanburg, SC title.
· All applications must be submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal (link above) – NOT the city’s employment application portal or any other external website.
· Resumes and cover letters must be uploaded with the application.
· Applicants should apply by December 10, 2023.
· Successful semi-finalists will be invited to participate in virtual interviews and skill evaluation interviews on January 16 – 17, 2024. Candidates are encouraged to reserve these dates for virtual meetings should they be invited to participate.
· Direct inquiries to [email protected]
The City of Spartanburg, SC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC manages the recruitment and selection process for this position.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.